Saturday, June 27, 2009

RULES ARE MADE TO BE BROKEN!

I spent this last week at Girl's Camp with our ward Young Women. I left the children home alone with Daddy for three and a half days, the longest that has ever happened. Spencer thought he should take the kids to do fun things while I was gone. He said he might take them to Lagoon. I told him that would be fun, but not to lose any of the kids and I suggested not going to the water park.

So, of course, Spencer took them to swim at Lagoon-a-Beach. My stubborn, sweet husband proved that he could take the children swimming alone, without any of them drowning.

They actually spent most of their Lagoon time at Pioneer village--much safer than the water park. But they found rules to break there too. They enjoyed feeding the "wild animals"--notice the sign at the beginning of the video.


They had some harmless fun looking at strange, new things in the village.
Spencer tried to get the boys to pose next to this picture, but they refused. Talmage explained later by saying, "No one but Leia was brave enough to stand by him or her." I asked Ammon why he wouldn't pose with Leia and he said, "Because he was too scary."

After their Lagoon adventure, Spencer decided he could handle anything and took all the children to Golden Corral--a buffet-style restaurant (because he had a coupon there, of course).
Spencer said the kids behaved quite well, until the dreaded balloon-man came. Then the children went wild with excitement.


During this excitement, an older lady at a nearby table chirped, "Excuse me...could you stop your kids from screaming?" With a slow grin, Spencer chuckled, "Yeah sure, I'm doing my best here." Then the old man with the woman replied, "doesn't look like your doing the best you can..." So then, as only Spencer can, he suggested, "you know, you can move to another table if you would like to." Spencer later described the following scene, "I just sat there eating my ice cream and smiled...and let my balloon swinging baby, the sword wielding toddler, the crazy hat-wearing 9-year-old, and the princess with the little bear-heart balloon battle and laugh and sing and squeal with glee...I could feel the old people's stares of disgust burning into the back of my head, and I...I quite enjoyed it."

Words my rebellious husband lives by: Rules are made to be Broken!

3 comments:

  1. In my defense I am really not THAT rebellious... Only some rules are made to be broken... and only in certain situations :) also, I really was trying my best to keep my 4 kids under control all by myself at Golden Coral, I wasn't just being smart with this older couple... I didn't ask Mr. Balloon Man/Santa Clause (see photo) to come over and start making my kids extra crazy by making them balloon toys to fight with and over. And, also, in my defense, there were plenty of other tables throughout the restaurant that this couple could have chosen to sit at, but they decided (you pick your own table at this restaurant) to come sit by the single Dad with 4 kids with balloon toys!.. go figure...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to tell this story to my Spencer but of course didn't get the details right so now I can tell him! I think it's so funny! Do people forget they were once children and behaved the same way!?
    Looks like the kids had a fun day at Lagoon! Our family is yet to go to Lagoon, I think we are going on Monday.
    Looks like you had a fun time at the Sand Dunes! Seeing all the pictures with you and your family makes me miss living close to our families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Way to go Spencer, home alone with the kids and braving the great outdoors (outside the front door I mean). I bet the kids had so much fun. Us mom's can be way too uptight.

    ReplyDelete